Opatija port

March 19, 2010 by  
Filed under Croatia tourist attractions

Comments Off on Opatija port

Although the oldest port in Opatija is most probably the small bay (“Porti}”) in front of St. Jacob’s church, the current port (“Mul”) must also be pretty old, since it was already entered in a map made in 1820 under the name of “Porto Herdt,” which is the distorted Italian word for the domestic term for promontory or headland “Rt” (“Zert”). Read more

Villa Angiolina, Opatija

February 9, 2010 by  
Filed under Croatia tourist attractions

Comments Off on Villa Angiolina, Opatija

Villa Angiolina is the building that certainly marked the beginning of the tourist epoch in the history of Opatija. Read more

Opatija Seaside Promenade

February 8, 2010 by  
Filed under Croatia tourist attractions

Comments Off on Opatija Seaside Promenade

Built in phases, this path stretches from Preluka to Lovran and its total length is approximately 12 kilometers. The initiator of the operation was the Scenic Improvement Society (Abbazianer Verschönerungsverein), and the conductors of the works were Heinrich Gintl, Alfred Manussi and Konrad Rubbia. Read more

Hotel Kvarner, Opatija

February 7, 2010 by  
Filed under Croatia tourist attractions

Comments Off on Hotel Kvarner, Opatija

Hotel Kvarner was the first hotel in Opatija, and probably on the eastern coast of the Adriatic. It was built in 1884 on the site of previous vineyards that belonged to the Toma family, and the building construction lasted only ten months, involving craftsmen and building materials from all parts of the Monarchy. Read more

Hotel Imperial, Opatija

February 6, 2010 by  
Filed under Croatia tourist attractions

Comments Off on Hotel Imperial, Opatija

Hotel Imperial was the second hotel to be built in Opatija. As soon as it became evident that the Kvarner would not be able to accommodate the steadily increasing number of guests, the Southern Railways began building a new hotel, which was already opened in 1885 and named after the heiress to the throne Kronprinzessin Stephanie who, with her husband, attended its opening.

Wilhelm, the architect, on this occasion also offered his guests all the luxuries of that period, from central heating to a swimming pool and a cinematograph which were connected by corridors to the principal part of the hotel. Read more